Examination to verify specialised knowledge for the firearms and ammunition trade
The commercial trade of firearms and ammunition requires a weapon dealer’s licence as per § 21 of the Weapons Act (WaffG). One of the conditions of obtaining this licence is that the applicant must demonstrate that they have the necessary specialised knowledge (§ 21 para. 3 no. 3 WaffG). This specialised knowledge is normally demonstrated by means of an examination (§ 22 para. 1 sentence 1 WaffG).
However, persons who have already been granted a permit to manufacture firearms, or are listed on the trade register as gunsmiths (§ 22 para. 2 WaffG) are exempted from the requirement to demonstrate their specialised knowledge (by means of a successfully completed examination).
In the Free State of Saxony, the agency authorised to carry out these examinations is the State Directorate of Saxony (Landesdirektion Sachsen). The directors of the examination board have authorised the IHK Chemnitz to carry out the examinations to verify specialised knowledge for the firearms and ammunition trade on its behalf (§ 3 para. 1 of the Ordinance of the Saxon State Government on the Implementation of the Weapons Act [DVOWaffG] in conjunction with § 16 para. 1 of the General Ordinance on the Weapons Act [AWaffV]).
How do I apply to take the examination to verify specialised knowledge for the firearms and ammunition trade?
You will normally have to apply to take the examination. Your local weaponry authority will send a copy of your application for a weapon dealer’s licence to the IHK. The IHK Chemnitz is responsible for approving candidates in the Free State of Saxony. You can also register for the examination by contacting the IHK directly. Simply download the form from our download area.
How can I send the completed form to the IHK?
Once you have completed your form, you can submit it to the IHK
- by fax
- by post
- in person
- via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- via the electronic mailbox for the courts and administration (EGVP)
How does the process work?
Once the relevant authority receives your application or is notified that you wish to take the examination, you will receive an invitation with a fixed appointment approximately 3 weeks in advance. This will also include information regarding how to respond to confirm your appointment.
There is no way to complete the process fully electronically as you must attend your examination in person.
How does the examination work?
The examination will be held in private. It is an oral examination. It will last between 30 and 60 minutes.
The specialised knowledge verified in the examination, pursuant to § 15 and § 16 AWaffV, comprises:
- the regulations applying to the firearms and ammunition trade, the acquisition and carrying of firearms and the essential aspects of other statutory weapons and proof testing regulations
- the types, design and handling of firearms in common use, if a licence application has been submitted for trading with firearms
- the handling of the ammunition in common use and its manner of use in the appurtenant firearms, if a licence application has been submitted for trading with ammunition
- In the examination, the applicant is to provide evidence of an adequate knowledge of all types of firearms and ammunition, if a comprehensive weapon dealer’s licence has been applied for. If a trading licence application for only certain types of weapons or ammunition specified in annex I section I subsections 1 and 3 of the Weapons Act has been applied for, the scope of the examination will cover this only.
You will be told the result of your examination immediately, and if you pass, you will be awarded your certificate on the same day. The licensing authority will be informed of the result in writing and will also receive a copy of your certificate.
What does the examination cost and when do I pay the fee?
The following fees normally apply:
- All firearms, whether subject to permits or not, and the associated ammunition (annex to § 15, para. 2 no. 2 AWaffV) – €300
- Firearms and ammunition subject to permits pursuant to 1.1 or 1.2 and 2.1 or 2.2 of the annex to § 15, para. 2 no. 2 AWaffV – €200
- Firearms and ammunition not subject to permits pursuant to 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 2.3 and 2.4 of the annex to § 15, para. 2 no. 2 AWaffV – €200
- Firearms and equivalent devices and ammunition that do not fall under points 1 to 3 – €150
Under the terms of the business and examination regulations, the fee for the examination is to be paid before the examination begins. If you miss your examination without being excused, you will still have to pay the fee.
- Weapons Act (WaffG)
- General Ordinance on the Weapons Act (AWaffV)
- Ordinance of the Saxon State Government on the Implementation of the Weapons Act (DVOWaffG)
- Business and examination regulations of the Landesdirektion Sachsen
- General Administrative Regulation for the Weapons Act (WaffVwV) of 5 March 2012